“Bugs Bunny was wrong… People think that their rabbits should eat carrots because that’s what Bugs Bunny does. But he’s a cartoon, real rabbits don’t talk, and they shouldn’t be eating carrots too often either.” Rachel Roxburgh, an animal scientist from the RSPCA.
That’s right, Bugs Bunny is responsible for 11% of pet rabbits suffering from tooth decay and digestive problems. Well, not wholly responsible, but let’s be honest – he didn’t help matters, did he. So, let’s make this clear: Bugs Bunny is not the best role-model for your pet rabbit. Too many carrots is not good for them. Instead, ditch the carrots and feed them hay.
If you follow this advice, it means you now have a stockpile of carrots that need using up. You could boil or steam or roast them. There’s nothing wrong with that. I’m sure they’ll be lovely… Then again, you could make these Carrot & Peach Loaves…
RECIPE: CARROT & PEACH MINI LOAVES
SOURCE: Call Me Cupcake
FLAVOUR PROFILE: Sweet and comforting with a hint of peach in the background and subtle spice.
GOES GREAT WITH: Enjoy it in the afternoon with some tea. Or, dare I say it, treat yourself on the weekend and have one for breakfast.
NOTES: Cream cheese frosting always benefits from being chilled before piping. As soon as the loaves are in the oven, make the frosting, then pop it in the fridge. By the time the loaves have finished baking and are cooled, the frosting will be at the perfect consistency.
MAKES: 6 mini loaves
- 100g (3.5oz) BUTTER, melted
- 2 EGGS
- 90g (3.2oz) WHITE GRANULATED SUGAR
- 45g (1.6oz) BROWN SUGAR
- 1/2 tsp. VANILLA ESSENCE
- 120g (4.2oz) FLOUR
- 1.5 tsp. BAKING POWDER
- Pinch SALT
- 1/2 tsp. CINNAMON
- 165g (6oz) CARROTS, grated
- 1.5 PEACHES, stoned and pureed (I used canned)
- 1/2 tsp. CARDAMOM
- 1/8 tsp. CLOVES
- 1/8 tsp. NUTMEG
For the frosting:
- 115g (4oz) CREAM CHEESE
- 30g (1oz) BUTTER, softened
- 240g (8.5oz) POWDERED SUGAR
- 1/2 tsp. VANILLA ESSENCE
- Grease the mini loaf tins and line with a strip or baking paper so that it is easier to remove the loaves after baking. Preheat oven to 180c.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the EGGS, WHITE SUGAR and BROWN SUGAR. Whisk until it is light and fluffy. Then, whisk in the VANILLA ESSENCE and melted BUTTER.
- In a separate bowl, add the FLOUR, BAKING POWDER, SALT, CINNAMON, CARDAMOM, CLOVES and NUTMEG. Give it a good stir so that everything is evenly distributed.
- With the whisk running on low, gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet until you have a smooth batter.
- Finally, fold in the CARROTS and PEACH PUREE. Divide the batter between the loaf tins and bake in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes. Turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Make the frosting: Whisk together the BUTTER and CREAM CHEESE. With the whisk running, gradually add the POWDERED SUGAR until it is fully incorporated and smooth. Add the VANILLA ESSENCE and beat again.
- Slice the cooled loaves in half horizontally. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag and pipe a layer of frosting on the bottom half. Sandwich it with the top half and then pipe some more frosting on top. Alternatively, you can spread the frosting with a knife or spoon.