Whoever first thought of baking an entire cheese wheel until it’s all melty and dunkable was a GENIUS! The box itself was concocted in 1890 by engineer, M. Ridel, who wanted a way to transport the cheese over long distances. But then someone thought: ‘wait a sec… that box is a PERFECT little receptacle for sticking the whole thing in the oven… and then, why don’t we leave it there til it gets all gooey… and then we can scoop up the cheesy gloriousness with hunks of bread?!’ Oh, I wish I was in the room when THAT was created!
RECIPE: Baked Camembert with Honey and Blackberries
FLAVOUR PROFILE: Rich, gooey, creamy. The blackberries add both tartness and sweetness.
GOES GREAT WITH: LOTS of bread for dunking!
MAKES: 1 whole Camembert, so perfect for 2 people (or 1 – if you’re me).
- 1 x 250g box CAMEMBERT
- 60g BLACKBERRIES
- 1 tbsp. HONEY
- 1 sprig THYME, leaves picked
- 1 sprig ROSEMARY, leaves picked and chopped
- SALT & PEPPER
- CRUSTY BREAD, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180c. Take the CAMEMBERT from the box. Remove the paper and discard. Score the top of the cheese into diamond shapes. Then, put the cheese back in the box. You don’t need the lid, so slip the bottom half into it just to make the base a bit sturdier.
- Scatter the ROSEMARY and THYME leaves on top of the cheese.
- Mix the BLACKBERRIES with the HONEY and spoon on top of the cheese.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Serve immediately with lots of crusty bread for dipping!