all the flavours of christmassy hot chocolate, but in a cake.
For the cake, try using coffee-flavoured dark chocolate as it really brings out the flavour of the chocolate. I found some amazing Espresso chocolate in my local supermarket.
Similarly, you can use vanilla chocolate for the fudge sauce, which is divine. And you can get experimental with the hot chocolate powder you use. There’s always some great blends available in the shops at Christmas. I used this Salted Caramel flavour hot chocolate from Whittard.
By the by, this chocolate fudge sauce is a winner. You’ll have some left over depending on how generous you are with the drizzle, but I’d double the quantities anyway, store it in a jar, and put it on EVERYTHING!
RECIPE: Hot Chocolate Cake with Marshmallow Frosting and Fudge Sauce
MAKES: 1 x 20cm cake
For the cake:
- 240g FLOUR
- 2 tsp. BAKING POWDER
- 80g COCOA POWDER
- 1.5 tsp. GROUND CINNAMON
- 100g BROWN SUGAR
- 150g GOLDEN SUGAR
- 1 tsp. SALT
- 110g VEGETABLE OIL
- 2 EGGS
- 115g BUTTERMILK
- 1.5 tsp. VANILLA EXTRACT
- 175g HOT CHOCOLATE (made with 4 heaped teaspoons of HOT CHOCOLATE POWDER and 150g HOT WATER)
- 100g CHOCOLATE CHIPS
For the Marshmallow Frosting:
- 80g BUTTER, softened
- 100g MARSHMALLOW FLUFF
- 250g POWDERED SUGAR
- 2 tbsp. CREAM
- MARSHMALLOWS (a mixture of standard and mini is nice)
For the Fudge Sauce (or you can use shop-bought, if you wish):
- 100g DARK CHOCOLATE
- 45g DOUBLE CREAM
- 30g BUTTER
- 40g GOLDEN SYRUP
- 1 tbsp. COCOA POWDER
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Grease two cake tins and line the bottom with baking paper. In a large mixing bowl, add the FLOUR, COCOA POWDER, GROUND CINNAMON, BROWN SUGAR, GOLDEN SUGAR and SALT. Stir together so that everything is evenly incorporated.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk the VEGETABLE OIL, EGGS, BUTTERMILK, VANILLA EXTRACT and HOT CHOCOLATE. Mix these wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the CHOCOLATE CHIPS. Split the mixture between the two tins and bake for 30 minutes. After a few minutes, remove from the tins and leave to cool on a rack.
- For the Marshmallow Frosting: Whisk the BUTTER and MARSHMALLOW FLUFF. Gradually add the POWDERED SUGAR. Finally, add the CREAM to loosen it a little so that it is a spreadable consistency. You may need less cream, so add it a teaspoon at a time until you get it perfect for you.
- Spread just over a third of the frosting on top of one cake. Place the second cake on top and spoon the remaining frosting on top of that.
- For the Fudge Sauce: Put the DARK CHOCOLATE, DOUBLE CREAM, BUTTER, GOLDEN SYRUP and COCOA POWDER in a saucepan. Heat on a medium heat until every is melted, smooth and glossy. Cook for 3 – 5 minutes, then decant into a clean jar to cool.
- Top the cake with marshmallows and drizzle the fudge sauce on top.