PERFECT FOR COFFEE-LOVERS!
Soft, chewy, with coffee and vanilla flavours, these cookies are a winner. It really does make a difference to use quality espresso in this recipe. I used vanilla espresso made with a Nespresso pod, and the flavour really came through in the cookie. You can be adventurous with your choice: caramel espresso would be equally amazing. Or hazelnut espresso. You could replace the chocolate chips with some chopped nuts. Or better still, have chocolate chips and nuts!
RECIPE: Coffee & Vanilla Cookies with Chocolate Chips and Caramel
MAKES: 18 cookies
- 115g BUTTER
- 100g BROWN SUGAR
- 50g WHITE SUGAR
- 1 EGG
- 200g FLOUR
- ¾ tsp. BAKING POWDER
- 1 tsp. VANILLA EXTRACT
- ½ tsp. SALT
- 1 double shot VANILLA ESPRESSO COFFEE, leave to cool
- 50g SOFT CARAMELS, diced into chunks
- 40g DARK CHOCOLATE, chopped into chips
- Put the BUTTER into a small frying pan over a medium heat to brown. Keep swirling it until you get a nutty aroma and it has gone a deep golden brown. Watch that it doesn’t burn. Then, take off the heat and leave aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the BROWN SUGAR, WHITE SUGAR and EGG. Whisk until it goes pale. Add the VANILLA ESPRESSO COFFEE, VANILLA EXTRACT and BROWNED BUTTER.
- With the whisk running on the lowest speed, add the FLOUR, BAKING POWDER and SALT. Then, fold in the SOFT CARAMELS and DARK CHOCOLATE. Chill for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 180c. On a lined baking sheet, scoop spoonfuls of the mixture, leaving enough of a gap for spreading. Bake for 12-13 minutes; you’ll see them colour brown around the edges. Leave them on the tray for a few minutes after taking them out of the oven, then transfer to a wire rack. They will still be a bit soft at this point, but they will firm up as they cool.