THESE ARE LIKE LITTLE CLOUDS OF JOY!
These cookies are seriously moreish. The centres are beautifully light and fluffy, and the sugar layer on the outside gives them a sweet crackly shell. I added a few drops of almond essence to the mixture because I wanted the result to be really almond-y, but you can go without for a subtler flavour. The Limoncello with the lemon zest really sings. However, you could replace the Limoncello with lemon juice if you prefer not to use alcohol.
RECIPE: LEMON AMARETTI COOKIES
- 200g GROUND ALMONDS
- 150g WHITE GRANULATED SUGAR
- 2 LEMONS, zest only
- 1-2 drops ALMOND ESSENCE
- 15g LIMONCELLO LIQUEUR
- 2 EGGS, whites only
- Extra WHITE GRANULATED SUGAR, for coating
- POWDERED SUGAR, for coating
- Preheat the oven to 170c and line a baking tray with baking paper. In a mixing bowl, add the GROUND ALMONDS, WHITE GRANULATED SUGAR (150g), LEMON ZEST, and ALMOND ESSENCE. Give it a good stir with a fork so that everything is evenly distributed.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the EGG WHITES and whisk into stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the EGG WHITES into the ALMOND-LEMON-MIXTURE. Then, stir in the LIMONCELLO LIQUEUR.
- Press the mixture together, then divide it into 16 and roll into balls. This might be easier by halving the mixture first and then dividing each half into eight. Try and keep them as evenly sized as possible to ensure a consistent bake.
- Set up your prep-station with one plate with a layer of WHITE GRANULATED SUGAR and another plate next to it with a layer of WHITE POWDERED SUGAR.
- Take each ball and first roll it in the WHITE GRANULATED SUGAR and then in the WHITE POWDERED SUGAR. Place on the baking sheet with a little space in between for air circulation. These won’t spread much in the oven though.
- Bake for 18-19 minutes. You’ll see a little colour around the cracks when they’re done. When you take them out of the oven, leave them on the tray for a few minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.