I love cupcakes. They’re easy to make, versatile and come Christmas they’re the perfect thing to take to parties, get-togethers, work, brunch, lunch, anything really. Guaranteed to put a smile on even the Grinchiest face. And did I mention how easy they are? I did? Well, they are. Much easier than cookies in my opinion, with their endless rolling and stamping, gathering, rolling and stamping.
I generally opt to make mini cupcakes. You get more bang for your buck and they look so darn cute.
These Salted Caramel Cupcakes, I made for the Writer’s Group I’m in. It was our last meeting before Christmas and I wanted to make a little something to salute the occasion with a sprinkle of festive merriment.
RECIPE: Salted Caramel Cupcakes
FLAVOUR PROFILE: Light, fluffy with little bursts of caramel and a pinch of salt to make it a bit edgy.
GOES GREAT WITH: A pot of tea and a good book.
NOTES: Salted caramel is great, salty caramel is not. When making your buttercream, start with a small pinch of salt, taste and then add a little more if you want. Keep tasting and adjusting until you get it just the way you like it. Just make sure there is enough buttercream left at the end to ice your cupcakes!
MAKES: 20 mini cupcakes (or 10 standard)
- 120g (4oz) BUTTER, room temperature
- 120g (4oz) DEMERERA SUGAR
- 120g (4oz) SELF-RAISING FLOUR
- 2 EGGS, room temperature
- 1 tblsp. MILK, to loosen mixture if required
- 40g (1.5oz) CARAMEL PIECES, found in the baking aisle
SALTED CARAMEL BUTTERCREAM
- 100g (3.5oz) BUTTER
- 235g (8oz) ICING SUGAR
- 65g (2.2oz) CARAMEL
- Pinch SEA SALT
- EDIBLE GOLD DUST, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the BUTTER and SUGAR.
- Add the EGGS and FLOUR gradually, mixing well so that it is all incorporated.
- If the mixture is a little stiff, loosen with MILK.
- Fold in the CARAMEL PIECES.
- Fill cupcake cases about 2/3 of the way.
- Bake in the oven for 12-13 minutes (standard-sized cupcakes will take 18-20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, work on the buttercream by beating the BUTTER with an electric whisk in a large bowl.
- With the whisk on a low speed, gradually add the ICING SUGAR.
- Add CARAMEL and a pinch of SALT, and whip for a few minutes.
- When the cupcakes are cool, ice them, sprinkle on some gold dust and enjoy!