NO HOLDS BARRED SALTED CARAMEL COOKIES!
There’s all sorts of good going on in these cookies. Sugar-galore on the inside, rolled in vanilla sugar on the outside. Crunch from the pretzels with their kick of salt. Nutty browned butter and liquid smoke. Chewy caramel. I honestly can’t recommend these cookies highly enough. If you love that salty/sweet combination as much as I do, these will be a hit!
RECIPE: SALTED PRETZEL COOKIES
MAKES: 12 COOKIES
- 115g BUTTER, cold
- 75g BROWN SUGAR
- 30g DARK MUSCOVADO SUGAR
- 50g WHITE SUGAR
- 1 EGG
- 165g FLOUR
- 1 tsp. VANILLA PASTE
- 1 tsp. LIQUID SMOKE
- ¾ tsp. BAKING POWDER
- ½ tsp. SEA SALT, plus extra for sprinkling on top if desired.
- 30g SOFT CARAMELS, chopped into chunks
- 12 PRETZEL CRISPS
- 2 sachets (16g) VANILLA SUGAR
- Put the BUTTER into a small frying pan and cook over a medium heat. You want the butter to get brown and nutty. Swirl the pan a few times as it starts to foam. 5 minutes.
- Put the BROWN SUGAR, DARK MUSCOVADO SUGAR, WHITE SUGAR and EGG into a mixing bowl and whisk until light and creamy.
- Add the BROWNED BUTTER, VANILLA PASTE, and LIQUID SMOKE to the EGG-SUGAR-MIX.
- With the whisk running on a low setting, add the FLOUR, BAKING POWDER, and SEA SALT, until just combined.
- Fold in the SOFT CARAMEL chunks. Chill the mixture for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Scoop the dough into balls. This mixture will make 12 balls weighing 40g each. Roll each ball into the VANILLA SUGAR and arrange on a lined baking sheet, allowing some space in between for them to spread as they bake. Press a PRETZEL CRISP into the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 11 minutes. After taking out of the oven, leave the cookies on the baking tray for 5 minutes to firm up, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.