GREAT FOR FAMILY-STYLE ENTERTAINING!
Not only does this make a seriously impressive and delicious meal to share with family and friends, but it also comes bearing gifts. After the initial stint in the oven, pour the duck fat into a jug, and when cool, transfer to a jar and keep in the fridge. Come Christmas Day, you’ll have some gorgeous duck fat to cook the crispiest, tastiest roast potatoes ever! Just remember to pour off the duck fat before you add the glaze in the recipe below!
If you want your duck skin super crispy, it’s important to remember to flip the bird over every hour. It makes such a difference, and is an easy way to cheat authenticity at home.
RECIPE: CRISPY AROMATIC DUCK
MAKES: 1 DUCK (SERVES 6 AS A STARTER)
- 1 DUCK (Approx. 1.7kg)
- SALT & PEPPER
For the glaze:
- 15g BROWN SUGAR
- 15g SOY SAUCE
- 1 tbsp. FIVE SPICE
- 50g HONEY
- CHINESE PANCAKES
- CUCUMBER, cut into matchsticks
- SPRING ONION, cut into matchsticks
- HOISIN/PLUM SAUCE
- Preheat the oven to 150c. You’ll need a roasting tray large enough for the duck, and a trivet or wire rack to sit inside the tray.
- With some kitchen roll or clean cloth, pat the DUCK dry inside and out. Prick the skin all over with a fork or skewer. Make sure you don’t pierce the flesh.
- Lay the duck breast-side-up on the rack in the baking tray, and season with SALT & PEPPER.
- Roast in the oven for 3 hours 30 minutes, flipping the duck over every hour. If you have a large pair of tongs (BBQ tongs work well here), you’ll find it much easier to flip the duck by sliding one arm of the tongs into the cavity. Be very careful as you do this.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the BROWN SUGAR, SOY SAUCE, FIVE SPICE, and HONEY.
- After the 3 hours and 30 minutes have elapsed, remove the duck from the oven. Put the duck and trivet/rack to one side, and carefully pour the duck fat into a jug. Then, put the trivet/rack and duck back in the tray.
- Brush the glaze all over the duck. If you have any left over, pour this into the cavity. (I used about 80% of the glaze for the skin and 20% for the cavity)
- Put the duck back in the oven and turn the temperature up to 190c. Cook for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and shred. Serve with CHINESE PANCAKES, SPRING ONIONS, CUCUMBER, and HOISIN SAUCE.