When it comes to Brownies, you get so much bang for your buck! They’re super easy to prepare, and within an hour you can transform some very simple ingredients into a scrumptious treat.
They are also incredibly versatile. You can mix up the chocolate, add in nuts or marshmallows or broken cookies. Fruit also goes beautifully, off-setting the richness of the Brownies. Try blackberries or raspberries for little pops of tartness.
But, considering I live in Switzerland, it would be rude of me not to create Toblerone Brownies. If you can, try to get the dark chocolate Toblerones for the main mixture, as it really does make a difference!
RECIPE: Toblerone Brownies
FLAVOUR PROFILE: Rich, chocolatey and a bit nutty!
GOES GREAT WITH: These are a perfect little afternoon treat with a cup of tea. You could also chop them up into little chunks and serve them with ice-cream and various topping to make a delicious sundae.
NOTES: I always think that the cooking of Brownies is entirely subjective. Some people like them to be really gooey, others prefer a more cakey texture. I’ve put the cooking time as 30 minutes, which yields a slightly squidgy centre, however you can always shave or add a few minutes depending on how you like them.
MAKES: 30cm x 20cm tray – roughly 16 squares.
- 170g (6oz) DARK CHOCOLATE TOBLERONE, roughly chopped
- 75g (2.6oz) BUTTER
- 135g (4.8oz) GOLDEN SUGAR
- 2 EGGS
- ½ tsp. VANILLA EXTRACT
- 70g (2.5oz) PLAIN FLOUR
- 15g (0.5oz) COCOA POWDER
- ¼ tsp. BAKING POWDER
- Pinch SALT
- 40g (1.4oz) MILK CHOCOLATE TOBLERONE, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180c. Sit a large heat-proof bowl over a saucepan with two inches of water in the bottom. Make sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Add the DARK CHOCOLATE TOBLERONE and BUTTER to the bowl. Turn the heat medium-high and let the chocolate and butter melt, stirring occasionally. When it has melted, take away from the heat and leave aside.
- Line a 30cm x 20cm tin with baking paper. In another mixing bowl, whisk the GRANULATED SUGAR, EGGS and VANILLA EXTRACT until it is light and creamy. Stir in the FLOUR, BAKING POWDER, COCOA POWDER and SALT.
- Fold in the CHOCOLATE-BUTTER mix until it is fully incorporated and there are no remaining white streaks. Pour into the prepared tin.
- Sprinkle the MILK CHOCOLATE TOBLERONE on top. Bake for 30 minutes at 180c. Leave to cool in the tin before removing and cutting into squares.