Did you know that in its entire lifetime a honey-bee produces 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey? Yet in one single hive over one year, 15 – 45 kilograms of honey is produced! It certainly underscores the phrase busy as a bee, doesn’t it? I don’t think bees need to worry about any other creatures coming along and stealing their title any time soon. Although, Mr Beaver might get an honourable mention.
This recipe is a homage to the little honey-bee, and a thank you for all the hard work he does. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if you spread his honey on your toast or add a dollop to your tea, but I know that he’d be very proud to have you make these delightful honey cupcakes. That will certainly put a smile on his face!
RECIPE: Honey & Almond Cupcakes with Honey Frosting
FLAVOUR PROFILE: Sweet and fluffy cupcakes with a delicate honey flavour in the background, topped with a honeylicious creamy buttercream frosting.
GOES GREAT WITH: This recipe has got Afternoon Tea written all over it! Also, for that extra honey kick, you could drizzle some more honey on top of the frosting just before serving. And, you could garnish the tops with some lovely shards of Honeycomb.
NOTES: When baking, try not to crowd the cupcakes too much as this will impede the cooking time. Although this will take a little longer, it’s best to cook in batches, which will produce even results. I made mini cupcakes in three batches of 10.
MAKES: 30 mini cupcakes or 15 standard cupcakes
- 115g (4oz) BUTTER, softened
- 150g (5.3oz) WHITE SUGAR
- 85g (3oz) HONEY
- Pinch SALT
- 2 EGGS
- 120g (4.2oz) HONEY YOGHURT
- 130g (4.6oz) PLAIN FLOUR
- 75g (2.6oz) GROUND ALMONDS
- 1 tsp. BAKING POWDER
For the Frosting:
- 100g (3.5oz) BUTTER, softened
- 65g (2.3oz) HONEY
- Pinch SEA SALT
- 235g (8.3oz) POWDERED SUGAR
- YELLOW FOOD COLOURING (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180c. In a large mixing bowl, beat the BUTTER, SUGAR, HONEY and SALT. Keep the whisk running and add the EGGS, one at a time. Then add the HONEY YOGHURT, but don’t over-beat. Stop when it is incorporated.
- Fold into the mixture the PLAIN FLOUR, BAKING POWDER and GROUND ALMONDS. Spoon into cupcake cases, filling to about 2/3 of the way up. Bake on a baking tray for 12-13 minutes if you are making mini cupcakes or 18-20 minutes for standard sized cupcakes. Leave aside to cool completely.
- Make the frosting: In a large mixing bowl, beat the HONEY and BUTTER with the pinch of SALT.
- With the whisk running, add the ICING SUGAR. Half first, then whisk, followed by the other half until it looks smooth and creamy. If you like, add a few drops of YELLOW FOOD COLOURING.
- Transfer the frosting into a piping bag and onto the cooled cupcakes, pipe swirls (or whatever takes your fancy).