Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory had “EATABLE MARSHMALLOW PILLOWS”. Sounds wonderful, doesn’t it? I’d like to think that this little recipe might nudge through the factory doors during the Christmas season. It seems only fair that the factory-pillows get a festive upgrade. And what’s more festive than beautiful mint and dark chocolate.
A little tip, though: maybe don’t sleep on them, coz it could get a bit sticky!
RECIPE: Mint Choc Chip Marshmallows
FLAVOUR PROFILE: Little pillows of fluff: delicate and melt-in-the-mouth, with sweet mint and dark chocolate.
GOES GREAT WITH: Marshmallows belong in hot chocolate! That’s where they are at their happiest, trust me. Imagine one of these floating on top of a cup of Thick Hot Chocolate… Heaven.
NOTES: I added 1 drop of peppermint extract to my mix and found the result to be perfect. I think it would be fine just using the fresh mint for a subtle flavour. But if you are planning to use the extract as well, be cautious with it and don’t go crazy, unless you really like the taste of toothpaste.
MAKES: 30cm x 20cm tray
- 15g (0.5oz) GELATIN POWDER
- 80ml (2.8oz) COOL WATER
- 285g (10oz) WHITE SUGAR (divided into 220g [7.7oz] + 65g [2.3oz])
- 150g (5.3oz) GOLDEN SYRUP
- 120ml (4.2oz) HOT WATER
- Pinch SALT
- 2 EGGS – WHITES ONLY
- 1 bunch FRESH MINT, leaves picked
- GREEN FOOD COLOURING (optional)
- 1-2 drops PEPPERMINT EXTRACT (optional)
- 2 tbsp. CHOCOLATE CHIPS or FLAKES
- POWDERED SUGAR, to coat
- Line a 30cm x 20cm tray with baking paper and brush with some OIL. In a large bowl, whisk the GELATIN POWDER into the COOL WATER and leave aside.
- In a saucepan, add the 220g WHITE SUGAR, GOLDEN SYRUP, HOT WATER and SALT. Heat until the sugar dissolves. Add half of the MINT and leave to steep for an hour.
- In a food processor, add the other half of the MINT with the 65g WHITE SUGAR and blitz. Use a small bowl to do this, so that the mint is packed tightly. This will get it to chop more finely. Leave aside.
- Strain the leaves out and return the syrup to the pan. Over a medium-high heat, bring to the bowl. Do not stir and keep cooking until the mixture reaches 130c. Pour the syrup into the gelatin-mixture and whisk until it has doubled in volume.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the EGG WHITES to a medium peak. Add the MINTED-SUGAR and keep whisking to a full peak. Add GREEN FOOD COLOURING and PEPPERMINT EXTRACT, if desired.
- With the whisk running, slowly add the GELATIN-MIXTURE to the EGG WHITES, tossing in the CHOCOLATE CHIPS at the end. Pour onto the sheet. Leave to set overnight.
- The next day: turn out and cut into squares with an oiled knife. Toss in POWDERED SUGAR to coat.