Made with store-cupboard ingredients, because I ALWAYS have chocolate and biscuits within arms-reach… (what self-respecting human-being doesn’t?!) This recipe is perfect for easy-entertaining. To make 4 tartlets, you need 120g of chocolate. Choose your favourite, of which you’ll have to buy 200g – so that you can eat the remaining 80g of chocolate while you wait for the tartlets to set. (I’m pretty sure that’s the rule!)
RECIPE: Chocolate Tart with Festive Spices
FLAVOUR PROFILE: Silky chocolate ganache with warming festive spices on a gingery biscuit base.
GOES GREAT WITH: You don’t have to serve this with toasted marshmallows, but it’s SO GOOD when you do! All the flavours in this tart can be found in my Scrumdiddlyumptious Thick Hot Chocolate so why not go for double trouble and have both!
NOTES: Feel free to play around with the spices to suit your personal taste. If there is one you are particularly fond of, you could amp it up. I tend to go a little heavier with the ginger because I love the stuff! Other festive spices would be equally wonderful, such as nutmeg, cloves or allspice.
MAKES: 4 x 10cm tarts
For the base:
- 120g DIGESTIVE BISCUITS, blitzed to crumbs
- 70g BUTTER, melted
- 1 tbsp. SUGAR
- 1 tsp. GINGER
For the filling:
- 120g DARK CHOCOLATE, roughly chopped
- 15g BUTTER
- 80g CREAM
- ½ tsp. CAYENNE PEPPER
- ¼ tsp. GROUND CINNAMON
- MARSHMALLOWS, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Grease your mini tart tins and line the bases with paper. Mix the DIGESTIVE BISCUIT CRUMBS with the melted BUTTER. Divide between the tart tins, pressing on to the bottom to create an even layer. Bake for 10 minutes, then leave aside to cool.
- In a small saucepan, heat the CREAM to just under boiling. Keep an eye on it, as you don’t want to scorch it.
- Put the chopped DARK CHOCOLATE into a bowl with the BUTTER, CAYENNE PEPPER and GROUND CINNAMON. Now pour the CREAM on top and keep stirring until all the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the tart cases and then chill for at least 2 hours.
- Take out of the tins. Serve with a couple of toasted marshmallows and enjoy!