Shh! Don’t tell anyone, but this is SO EASY to make! It’s a tart, but do what I do and call it a ‘Galette’ so that it sounds a bit posh. It looks special, but it’s all SIMPLE ingredients and some fancy layering. If you get a little slapdash with your tomatoes, then Basil is your friend!
When your guests start mmm-ing and ahh-ing, you can mop your brow, give them a motherly smile and say, “You’re worth it”. And when they offer to do the washing-up, you can shake your head and bat them away, saying, “Don’t be silly! You’re my GUESTS!”… but the truth is – there is no washing-up (shh!).
RECIPE: Tomato & Goats Cheese Galette
FLAVOUR PROFILE: Crunchy, flaky pastry with rich goats cheese, sweet tomatoes and pops of fresh herbs.
GOES GREAT WITH: Cut into wedges and serve as part of breakfast buffet continental-style with fresh cheese, cold meats and fruit.
NOTES: You need to let the Galette rest for 20 minutes after taking out of the oven. This allows time for the tomatoes to suck up the juices and for the base to get crispy. If you eat it straight out of the oven, it will be a bit sloppy in the middle, so it’s best to enjoy this tart at room temperature.
MAKES: 1 tart, which serves 2-4
- 28cm PUFF PASTRY ROUND
- 6 – 8 HEIRLOOM TOMATOES, sliced
- 80g GOATS CHEESE, spreadable
- 4 tsp. PARMESAN
- 2 sprigs THYME
- BASIL LEAVES
- SALT and PEPPER
- 1 tbsp. MILK
- BALSAMIC GLAZE, optional (to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Lay the sliced HEIRLOOM TOMATOES on kitchen paper, season with SALT and let them sit for 15 minutes.
- Un-roll the PUFF PASTRY. Spread the GOATS CHEESE, leaving a 5cm border around the edge. Sprinkle with 2 tsp. PARMESAN.
- Arrange the Tomatoes on top of the cheese, overlapping each one slightly. Season with SALT, PEPPER and the remaining 2 tsp. PARMESAN.
- Pleat the pastry border over the tomatoes, leaving the centre exposed. Brush the crust with milk. Lay the sprigs of THYME on top and bake for 35 – 40 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, let the Galette rest for 20 minutes before cutting to let the juices settle. Remove the thyme and garnish with BASIL LEAVES. Drizzle with BALSAMIC GLAZE when serving, if desired.