AN EASY BAKE THAT’S PACKED WITH FLAVOUR!
This is fab for when you want that carrot cake fix, but you don’t want to go through the rigmarole of baking a cake and waiting for it to cool and frosting it. With these Carrot Cake Blondies, it’s all added to the same tin, and the cream cheese swirl is super easy. And they’re BLONDIES, which means carrot cake just got a whole lot better.
RECIPE: CARROT CAKE BLONDIES
MAKES: 20cm x 30cm tin (10 squares)
- 130g BUTTER
- 180g GOLDEN SUGAR
- 50g GOLDEN SYRUP
- 140g WHITE CHOCOLATE (70g to be chopped into chips)
- 2 EGGS
- ¾ tsp. VANILLA EXTRACT
- 180g FLOUR
- Pinch SALT
- 100g CARROTS, finely grated
- ¾ tsp. CINNAMON
- ¼ tsp. NUTMEG
- ½ tsp. GROUND GINGER
- ½ ORANGE, zest only
For the Cream Cheese Swirl:
- 150g CREAM CHEESE
- 2 tbsp. WHITE SUGAR
- 1 EGG
- First line a 20cm x 30cm tin with baking paper and preheat the oven to 190c.
- Heat BUTTER in a saucepan on a medium/high heat until golden brown. This will take about five minutes.
- Add the GOLDEN SUGAR, GOLDEN SYRUP and 70g WHITE CHOCOLATE. Stir until melted and remove from the heat. Decant into a large mixing bowl and leave it to cool slightly.
- With an electric whisk running, add the EGGS – one at a time – to the mixture. Also add the VANILLA EXTRACT.
- In a separate bowl, add the FLOUR, SALT, GRATED CARROTS, CINNAMON, NUTMEG, GINGER, and the remaining 70g of WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIPS. Stir it so that everything is evenly distributed. Then, fold this into the SUGAR-EGG-MIXTURE.
- Now make the cream cheese swirl: In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the CREAM CHEESE, WHITE SUGAR and EGG for a minute or two.
- Pour half of the carrot mixture into your lined tin. Dot half of the cream cheese on top. Spoon the remaining carrot mixture, and then dot the rest of the cream cheese to finish. Take a skewer and swirl the cream cheese topping. Don’t go overboard, as you don’t want it to mix in.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes depending on how squidgy you want it (I baked the ones in the picture for 28 minutes). Leave to cool in the tin. Then, cut into squares and enjoy!