A FABULOUS ‘LEFTOVER CRANBERRY SAUCE’ RECIPE!
This is a lovely recipe for using up that leftover cranberry sauce languishing in the back of the fridge. If you are using shop-bought cranberry sauce, double-check that it doesn’t contain any vinegar. In which case, substitute for your favourite jam. Alternatively, you could make your own cranberry sauce.
For that extra hit of citrus sweet, you can also dribble a little orange icing on top. Use the juice from the ORANGE, and mix with 100g of POWDERED SUGAR until smooth. Then, drizzle on top.
RECIPE: Cranberry Bakewell Tart
MAKES: 1 x 22cm tart
For the pastry:
- 200g FLOUR
- 50g GROUND ALMONDS
- 1 EGG
- 50g POWDERED SUGAR
- 125g BUTTER
For the tart:
- 6 tbsp. CRANBERRY SAUCE (or JAM)
- 100g BUTTER
- 120g WHITE SUGAR
- 100g GROUND ALMONDS
- 25g FLOUR
- 2 EGGS
- ½ tsp. VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 ORANGE, zest only
- For the pastry: Put the FLOUR, GROUND ALMONDS, POWDERED SUGAR and BUTTER into a blender. Pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the EGG. Pulse until the mixture comes together. Tip onto clingfilm, press together and wrap into a flat disc. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180c. Grease a tart tin. Roll out the chilled pastry, line the tin and trim the edges. Put a sheet of baking paper into the tin and fill it with baking beans. Blind-bake the pastry for 12 minutes. Then remove the beans and paper, and bake for a further 5 minutes without them. Leave to cool.
- Spread the CRANBERRY SAUCE in an even layer on top of the cooked pastry.
- Melt the BUTTER and WHITE SUGAR in a saucepan. Beat in the GROUND ALMONDS, FLOUR, EGGS, VANILLA EXTRACT and ORANGE ZEST. Spread this mixture on top of the jam, smoothing to make it even.
- Bake 25 – 30 minutes.