THIS IS SUCH A NIFTY WAY TO USE UP LEFTOVER CHRISTMAS CAKE!
There’s a shortcut version to this recipe where you can buy the custard and salted caramel, and build these little pots for a lovely treat or dinner party dessert. There’s so much to do around Christmas that shortcuts are a welcome commodity.
But, I had been feeding my Christmas cake for four months, having baked it back in September – so I thought (even for leftovers) it deserved a little extra attention. However you decide to make it, you can always keep the custard recipe and the caramel recipe for a less hectic time.
RECIPE: CHRISTMAS CAKE TRIFLE POTS
MAKES: 6 SMALL pots
For the Custard Pudding:
- 40g BUTTER
- 130g BROWN SUGAR
- 20g CORNFLOUR
- 200g HEAVY CREAM
- 200g WHOLE MILK
- 2 EGG YOLKS
- 1 tsp. VANILLA EXTRACT
For the Spiced Rum Caramel:
- 50g BUTTER
- 50g BROWN SUGAR
- 200g CONDENSED MILK
- 35g DOUBLE CREAM
- 3/4 tsp. VANILLA EXTRACT
- 50ml SPICED RUM
- Cube or crumble your leftover Christmas cake and fill the glasses by just over a third.
- For the Custard Pudding: Melt the BUTTER and BROWN SUGAR in a saucepan. Stir in the CORNFLOUR. Add the MILK and CREAM. Bring to a slow boil and let it thicken.
- In a separate small bowl, beat the EGG YOLKS. Add a spoonful or two of the milk mixture to temper the eggs. Add the eggs to the saucepan and whisk. Bring to the boil, then take off the heat and stir in the VANILLA. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the custard into your pots. Then pop them into the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
- For the Spiced Rum Caramel: Melt the BUTTER and BROWN SUGAR in a saucepan, bring to the boil and let it bubble away for 5 minutes. Add the CONDENSED MILK and VANILLA EXTRACT, bring back to the boil whilst whisking. Continue boiling for 15 minutes and keep whisking. Take off the heat, whisk in the DOUBLE CREAM and SPICED RUM. Pour into a jar.
- Once the custard is set, dollop a few spoonfuls of the rum caramel on top.