THIS IS SUCH A GREAT WAY TO USE UP LEFTOVER TURKEY!
Spicy and comforting with hints of sweetness and smoke, you can make a large or small batch. It’s as easy as throwing all the ingredients in a pan and you can play around with what you use and how daring you are with spice. This tastes great after a day or two, when the flavours really come alive. Equally, it is the perfect thing to freeze and save for a rainy day.
Serve in a bowl topped with grated cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream and some sliced avocado – or guacamole. You could add some plain rice on the side… Or maybe a handful of tortilla chips?
RECIPE: Leftover Turkey Chilli
MAKES: Enough to serve 6-8
- 500g LEFTOVER COOKED TURKEY, shredded
- 1 tbsp. OIL
- 2 RED ONIONS, diced
- 3 cloves GARLIC, minced
- 1 RED BELL PEPPER, diced
- CORIANDER, leaves picked and stalks finely chopped
- 1 LONG RED CHILLI, finely chopped
- 2 JALAPENO PEPPERS, finely chopped
- 1 HABANERO PEPPER (if you’re feeling brave), finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. TOMATO PUREE
- 1 small can KIDNEY BEANS
- 1 small can CHICKPEAS
- 1 400g TINNED TOMATOES
- 2 tsp. HONEY
- 1 tbsp. GROUND CUMIN
- 1 tbsp. SMOKED PAPRIKA
- 1 tbsp. WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- SALT & PEPPER
- Heat the OIL in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the RED ONIONS and cook, stirring until they go translucent. Add the GARLIC and CORIANDER STALKS along with the TOMATO PUREE. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure that the puree doesn’t catch on the bottom.
- Add in the RED BELL PEPPER, RED CHILLI, JALAPENO PEPPER and HABANERO (if you like). Give it a stir, but be careful that the fumes don’t get in your eyes!
- Now add in the KIDNEY BEANS, CHICKPEAS, GROUND CUMIN, SMOKED PAPRIKA, HONEY and WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE.
- Tip in the CHOPPED TOMATOES. Then, take the empty tin, fill it 3/4 with water, swill it around a bit and pour it into the chilli-mix. Give the whole thing a good stir and season with SALT and PEPPER.
- Leave it to bubble away for half an hour so that the liquid reduces and the flavours develop. Have a little taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly. If you like a little more sweetness, add a drop more honey.
- Stir in the LEFTOVER COOKED TURKEY and the CORIANDER LEAVES – reserving some to garnish with. Cook for a further 20 minutes. Serve hot.