CHRISTMAS IN A COOKIE!
Gingerbread cookies are the ultimate Christmas cookie, but I find making the version that involves rolling, stamping and decorating a bit time-consuming. Here is a version that has all the flavours, but less of the faff.
These gorgeous cookies have cayenne pepper in them, which adds a fabulous kick and pairs with the ginger beautifully. And what’s more, there’s little pops of sweet, tart cranberry and luxurious dark chocolate. It’s like Christmas just got turned up a notch!
RECIPE: DARK CHOCOLATE & CRANBERRY GINGERBREAD COOKIES
- 225g FLOUR
- 1/2 tsp. BAKING POWDER
- 1 tsp. GROUND GINGER
- 1/2 tsp. ALLSPICE
- 1/2 tsp. GROUND CINNAMON
- 1/2 tsp. CAYENNE PEPPER
- 1/4 tsp. GROUND CLOVES
- Pinch SALT
- 50g DRIED CRANBERRIES, chopped
- 50g DARK CHOCOLATE, chopped into chips
- 90g BUTTER
- 80g BROWN SUGAR
- 45g MOLASSES
- 1 tsp. VANILLA PASTE
- 1 EGG
- Preheat the oven to 190c and line a baking tray with baking paper. In a mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients: FLOUR, BAKING POWDER, GROUND GINGER, ALLSPICE, CINNAMON, CAYENNE PEPPER, CLOVES and SALT. Give it a good stir with a fork so that everything is evenly distributed. Then add the chopped DRIED CRANBERRIES and DARK CHOCOLATE, and give it another stir.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the BUTTER and BROWN SUGAR with the MOLASSES and VANILLA PASTE until creamy. Add a spoonful of the FLOUR-MIXTURE to prevent curdling, and then whisk in the EGG. Now add the rest of the FLOUR-MIXTURE and fold in until there are no white streaks remaining. The mixture will be quite stiff.
- Tip onto a sheet of cling-film, and pull together and knead into a dough. Wrap and put in the fridge to chill for half an hour.
- Pinch off small chunks of the mixture, roll into balls and arrange on your lined baking sheet. Try and make 15 balls from the mixture: the balls will be about 40g each. Press down each ball with your fingertips to get them started.
- Bake for 15 minutes @ 190c. You’ll see them colour around the edges. If you make the cookies slightly bigger or smaller, make sure you add on or take away a few minutes of cooking time accordingly.
- When you take them out of the oven, leave them on the tray for five minutes. Then, transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.