I love a store-cupboard bake!
Coconut macaroons are deceptively easy to make, just keep an eye on them as they like to catch in the oven. They’re quick to prepare and you can be sitting with your feet up, tea in one hand – macaroon in the other in less than an hour… 45 minutes if you put your mind to it!
The mixture will go blue when you fold in the blueberries. You can reduce this by folding them in super-gently (this is not me) or, you can embrace the blue rinse (this is me)! Don’t panic too much though, as the colour lightens during baking.
RECIPE: Butterscotch & Blueberry Coconut Macaroons
- 100g SHREDDED COCONUT
- 115g SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK
- 1 large EGG WHITE
- 1/2 tsp. VANILLA EXTRACT
- 50g FROZEN BLUEBERRIES
- 30g BUTTERSCOTCH CHIPS
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Put the EGG WHITE into a small mixing bowl and whisk until stiff.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, mix the SHREDDED COCONUT, SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK and VANILLA EXTRACT. Fold in the FROZEN BLUEBERRIES and BUTTERSCOTCH CHIPS.
- Gently fold in the whisked EGG WHITE until fully combined.
- Scoop heaped teaspoons on to the baking tray. If you are prepared to get your hands sticky (and a bit blue) you can shape them into balls for a neater finish.
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes at 180c. Watch them closely, especially after the 15-minute-mark. You want the top to brown, but not burn. When you remove them from the oven, let them cool in the tray.