I LOVE CHERRY BAKEWELLS AND I LOVE BROWNIES, AND FIGURED, WOULDN’T IT BE GREAT TO HAVE BOTH?!
The sour cherries and marzipan in all that chocolate make this the ultimate festive pudding. And as with all brownies, they’re super easy to make. Feel free to add or subtract a few minutes to the baking time to get your perfect bake. The ones in the picture had a nice squidgy centre, but if I was baking these for just me, I’d be smack-bang in the gooey brigade!
Eat these while they are still warm from the oven with a dollop of cream (clotted, if you can get it).
RECIPE: Cherry Bakewell Chocolate Brownies
MAKES: 20cm x 30cm tray (8 servings)
- 80g MARZIPAN, cut into cubes and frozen
- 120g DARK CHOCOLATE
- 70g MILK CHOCOLATE
- 75g BUTTER
- 135g BROWN SUGAR
- 2 EGGS
- ½ tsp. VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 tsp. ALMOND EXTRACT
- 50g FLOUR
- ½ tsp. BAKING POWDER
- 20g GROUND ALMONDS
- 15g COCOA POWDER
- Pinch SALT
- 12 CHERRIES from a jar of Sour Cherries, quartered
- 1 tbsp. CHERRY JUICE from the jar
- Line a 20cm x 30cm tray with baking paper and preheat the oven to 180c. Fill a saucepan with an inch or two of water and sit a heatproof bowl on it to create a double-boiler. Add the DARK CHOCOLATE, MILK CHOCOLATE and BUTTER to the bowl and melt over a medium heat.
- In a large mixing bowl add the BROWN SUGAR and EGGS. Whisk until they turn pale. Add the VANILLA EXTRACT and ALMOND EXTRACT.
- In a separate small bowl, add the FLOUR, BAKING POWDER, GROUND ALMONDS, COCOA POWDER and SALT. Give it a good mix so that everything is evenly distributed.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and fold it in. Then, fold in the MELTED CHOCOLATE-BUTTER-MIXTURE with the CHERRIES, CHERRY JUICE and finally, the frozen MARZIPAN.
- Scrape into the lined tray, levelling out the top. Bake for 30 minutes for a squidgy centre. Leave in the tray for a minute after taking out of the oven, then transfer to a wire rack.
One Comment Add yours