THESE ARE DELICIOUS, SLIGHTLY SWEET WITH LITTLE BURSTS OF SHARP APPLE.
I love whipping up a batch of scones for an easy breakfast for guests. These keep well, so you can even make them the night before, leave it uncut and keep them in a tin for the morning. These scones are seriously amazing with chocolate spread! For a little extra homemade decadence, try this fab Chocolate & Blackberry spread.
TIP: Scones like it hot! Make sure your oven is well pre-heated to 220c.
APPLE & SPICE BUTTERMILK SCONES
MAKES: 1 x 20cm round scone – making 8 portions.
- ½ APPLE, diced
- 1 tbsp. BUTTER
- 1 tbsp. BROWN SUGAR
- 225g FLOUR
- ¼ tsp. GROUND NUTMEG
- ¼ tsp. GROUND CARDAMOM
- ¼ tsp. GROUND CINNAMON
- 2 level tsp. BAKING POWDER
- Pinch SALT
- 50g COLD BUTTER, cubed
- 40g SUGAR (preferably golden, but brown or white will do)
- 120g BUTTERMILK
- ½ tsp. VANILLA EXTRACT
- Preheat the oven to 220c. Put the APPLE and 1 tbsp. BUTTER into a small saucepan. Cook with the lid on until dry for about 5 minutes. You want the apple to soften, but not to break down – the pieces should retain their structure. Take off the heat and coat in the tbsp. of BROWN SUGAR. Leave to cool.
- Take a large mixing bowl. Add the FLOUR, GROUND NUTMEG, GROUND CARDAMOM, GROUND CINNAMON, BAKING POWDER, and SALT. Give it all a mix to evenly disperse, then add the COLD BUTTER CUBES. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until there is a sandlike consistency.
- Stir in the 40g SUGAR, VANILLA EXTRACT and the APPLE-MIX.
- Cut in the BUTTERMILK and bring together into a rough dough. It will be very sticky! Tip onto a lined baking sheet and press into a 20cm disc. Score a large knife into the top of the dough, dividing it into eight. You only want to press half a cm into the dough. Sprinkle a pinch of BROWN SUGAR over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 220c.