These Twix Blondies will be a talking-point at any occasion. Often, we see Brownie recipes, and I always think of Blondies as being underrated in the confectionary world. The aim is to get the same consistency as you would find in a Brownie. Ideally, you’re looking for a crispy crust, a rich fudgy texture and you want the centre to be slightly gooey.
The key here is to take simple ingredients and to bring out the best in them. Be patient when making this recipe and give each stage all the time it needs. The butter needs to be wonderfully browned, so that it produces a deep nutty flavour. Sugar must be brown, and when it is melted with the syrup and chocolate, it will take on a caramel dimension.
Finally, don’t be tempted to overcook the Blondie. You may be concerned that it is slightly under-done when you take it out of the oven, but leaving it in the tin to cool will give it the bit of extra baking that it needs.
RECIPE: Twix Blondies
INSPIRED BY: Olive Magazine Jammie Dodgers Blondies
FLAVOUR PROFILE: Rich and gooey in the centre. Sweet with caramel and crunch from the Twix.
GOES GREAT WITH: These are very rich, so maybe treat yourself for one as an afternoon pick-me-up with a nice cup of tea.
MAKES: 20cmx30cm tray – roughly 16 squares
- 130g (4.6oz) BUTTER, diced
- 200g (7oz) BROWN SUGAR
- 40g (1.4oz) GOLDEN SYRUP
- 140g (4.9oz) WHITE CHOCOLATE, chopped (divided in half)
- 185g (6.5oz) PLAIN FLOUR
- 2 EGGS
- 1 tsp. VANILLA EXTRACT
- 140g (4.9oz) TWIX MINI BITES, (100g [3.5oz] chopped roughly + 40g [1.4oz] left whole)
- Pinch SALT
- Heat BUTTER in a saucepan – medium-high heat – until golden brown. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Add the BROWN SUGAR, GOLDEN SYRUP and 70g WHITE CHOCOLATE. Stir until melted, then remove from the heat and leave it cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 190c. Line a 20x30cm tin with baking paper.
- Mix in the EGGS one at a time with an electric whisk. Also add the VANILLA EXTRACT.
- Fold in the PLAIN FLOUR, SALT, the other 70g WHITE CHOCOLATE and the 100g chopped TWIX.
- Pour into the prepared tin. Press the 40g of whole TWIX on the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin. Then, remove and cut into squares.