There’s something glorious about the Cherry Bakewell: shortcrust pastry, frangipane, almond-flavoured fondant – all topped with half a glacé cherry. I wanted to try and recreate these flavours into an ice-cream and believe me when I say that it is a wonderful thing! Okay, maybe I’m a bit biased, because I absolutely adore Cherry Bakewells! Even so, I’m confident that you will love it too!
Given that this is a no-churn ice-cream, the majority of the work is done at the beginning and then all you need is a little patience whilst you wait for it to set. With a smidgeon of effort, you’ll be rewarded with a world of satisfaction!
RECIPE: Cherry Bakewell Ice-Cream (No Churn)
FLAVOUR PROFILE: Creamy and sweet with almond and little pops of tart sour cherries, topped with crumble shortbread.
GOES GREAT WITH: This is more of a sundae and tastes amazing with nothing else added to it, but come Christmas, when indulgence gets turned up to eleven – I wouldn’t hesitate to serve this alongside some warmed Christmas pudding.
NOTES: By all means, adapt this recipe to your preferences: you could leave out the marzipan or throw in some dark chocolate chips. I will say, however, that if you are planning to keep the cherries – best use jarred sour cherries. I can’t tell you how lovely those little bursts of sour cherries are in the creamy ice-cream.
MAKES: 1 x 500ml tub
- 200g (7oz) SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK
- 120g (4.2oz) HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM
- 115g (4oz) CREAM CHEESE
- 30g (1oz) SOUR CHERRIES (from a jar), chopped into halves and quarters
- 40g (1.4oz) MARZIPAN, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tsp. ALMOND EXTRACT
For the crumble:
- 100g (3.5oz) FLOUR
- 40g (1.4oz) BUTTER, melted
- 2 tbsp. GRANULATED SUGAR
- First make the crumble: Preheat the oven to 180c. Mix the FLOUR with the SUGAR. Pour in the melted BUTTER and give it a stir with a fork so that the mixture starts to clump together and form little pebbles. Scatter this onto a lined baking tray and bake for 17 minutes. Leave aside to cool.
- Take a mixing bowl and beat the SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK, CREAM CHEESE and ALMOND EXTRACT until smooth.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat the HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM with an electric whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the Milk-Cheese mixture into the Cream.
- Fold in the MARZIPAN and the SOUR CHERRIES.
- Pour half the mixture into your ice-cream tub. Sprinkle half of the cooled Crumble on top. Then, pour in the rest of the ice-cream and finally sprinkle the remaining crumble on top. Seal with a lid and freeze. It will need at least 6 hours before it’s ready.